We have started recital dances and measuring for costumes is ongoing. All students are getting to know their tie-in book and song, which leads to information about our theme this year!
The working title of our recital is: An Evening of Short Stories. It will feature performances tying together 15 children's books* and 115 songs, and melding into 14 short films that incorporate all our classes! Here's the information you need to know:
For our in-person classes:
• We will be filming our classes live on stage at Cornell College in Mt. Vernon from May 10-31. You will receive your filming dates in March. Our goal is that you would not be at Cornell more than twice (unless you are in many classes).
• Classes will be assigned a 90 minute block at the theatre to include:
a. 30 min. costumed photo opportunity with professional photographer
b. 30 min. dress rehearsal
c. 30 min. filming of staged performance (performance may run up to three times for filming)
• Family members are allowed (2-4 in audience, depending on class size; you will find out the number when your time slot is sent to you) to watch the 30 min on stage filming for students who are taking in-person classes. Some smaller classes may be combined at the filming stage, but not during regular weekly classes at Nolte Academy.
• At this point, all filming will be masked.
• There will be a 15-minute break between sessions to allow for groups to come and go without interacting.
For our hybrid classes:
a. learn dance from home, join class May 1, masked, to rehearse with class
b. move into a virtual-only class which will have digital submissions for recorded performance
Please email with one of the above choices by Friday, March 12.
For our virtual-only classes:
Similar to last year, you will send in a video (in costume) for submission. Or, you will have an opportunity to record in our studio with or without assistance in late April/early May.
Other important information:
• Recital Fee:
Our recital fee covers shared production costs: theatre rental, three videographers, six-person editing crew. Included in this fee are tickets to the performance. Tickets will also be available for purchase to those outside Nolte families. The fee is $100/student or $150/family and will be added to your Jack Rabbit account by March 15.
• Costume Fee:
Also billed in March. Costume fees range from $28-60 (no costume fee for voice students), and each class has a separate costume. Art classes are involved in scenery/design, but do not have costumes.
• Sidekick Coffee & Books Partnership:
We are excited to partner with Sidekick for the opportunity to purchase copies of the books we are featuring in our production! More info to come.
• March 3: deadline for submitting costume measurements for those who have not been measured during in-person classes. You can stop by the studio for measuring, or submit your child's bust, waist and girth (shoulder through legs, back up to shoulder) to us via email.
• May 10-31: Filming at Cornell. Weekly classes will run at the studio during these dates, but filming during a particular class day may take the place of in-studio class time. More information to come as the schedule is solidified.
• May 28: Last day of classes for spring trimester.
• June 12 at 6:30 pm: premiere of show. The recital fee gets you the link with all 14 short films.
Answers to FAQs:
• If you opted out of the recital, but would like to opt back in, please do so by emailing us! We would love to have you!
• If your child is in virtual class now, you can switch to hybrid and/or in-person now and in-person by mid-April to get into recital formation. Contact us to make a change.
• If your child is in four classes of different genres, they would likely be in two 90 minute blocks. They could be the same day, but not guaranteed.
• ICon's recital involvement: more info to come if participating in recital
• Summer schedule will be out in about a month
*List of books featured in our production:
• Goodnight Moon
• The Day the Crayons Quit
• A is for Audra
• Happy Dreamer
• I Am Enough
• Tap Tap Boom Boom
• The Color Monster
• The Princess in Black
• Here We Are
• Where the Wild Things Are
• Antiracist Baby
• Extra Yarn
• The Giving Tree
If you have questions, please view our webinar recording (Access Passcode: 8Tw4!^yT), or email us!